Helpful information for overseas Doctors

Your First UK Doctors Job

There are a huge range of doctors’ roles in the NHS covering some 60 different specialties, with some in much higher demand than others – providing good opportunities for international doctors.

Those doctors from outside the EEA, must first check you meet the requirements of UK Visa and immigration regulations in order to be able to enter and work in the UK.

The different types of visas and criterion are available from the UK government website, here

The next step is to register with the GMC and obtain a relevant licence to be able to practice as a doctor within the UK in any capacity.  The GMC is an independent regulator for doctors in the UK and sets the standards that doctors must maintain whilst practicing in addition to the standards for medical training.  By law, without a licence to practice from the GMC, doctors are unable to practice medicine.  Registration with the GMC is also subject to periodic revalidation if doctors wish to continue working in the UK.

There are different routes to obtaining registration with the GMC depending on whether you are a doctor from inside or outside the European Economic Area (EEA).

Doctors from within the EEA

The GMC provides mutual recognition of equivalent training and qualifications obtained within the EEA, which means that members who have completed basic medical training are eligible for full GMC registration providing their fitness to practice has not been impaired.  Doctors from member states with the requisite equivalent qualifications and training may also apply to join specialist or GP registers.

To apply, and for the most up to date GMC requirements, please visit the following website

Overseas doctors from outside the EEA

The GMC does not provide automatic recognition of medical qualifications awarded from bodies outside the EEA.  You must check with the GMC whether your medical qualifications are recognised, and if applicable take an International English Language Testing System (IELTS), and a Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board (PLAB) test.  A list of acceptable oversees medical qualifications can be found on the GMC website here

Further guidance for International Doctors can be obtained from the British Medical Association (BMA) here